The UKSF L119A1 Thread (inc SFW)

Too late to edit, just to say I can see your pics now Hicks, nice and pretty much how I'd like my 10" to look (when I get a round tuit). Did you weather your gun artificially or is it natural wear and tear? got to say it looks natural, with artificial weathering it's very easy to go OTT.

Did you weather your gun artificially or is it natural wear and tear? got to say it looks natural, with artificial weathering it's very easy to go OTT.

Mostly natural wear. I stripped quite a bit of paint off the original stock and ACOG and did dust the rifle very lightly in some tan krylon at one stage but, again, decided to remove almost all of the paint to allow for a more natural look.

Regarding  paint, should the entire gun be phosphate grey? if so what do you recommend? I was just going to spray the entire barrel/fore sight/flash hider with Wurth heat resistant paint as it has a nice satin finish, the sling plate to be painted with the same. I could spray the DIS as well but I suppose I could just as easily do the entire gun as the gearbox is coming out to downgrade and the inner CQB barrel needs swapped out for a longer one.

Just the DIS mate. The rest is somewhat right.

I think the barrel is also in a phosphatish coat. You´ll find some ref in this thread.

Cheers tarte, too late now as I sprayed up the barrel/fore sight/flash hider and sling plate last night. At least it looks like a unit rather than a collection of parts but I would be happy to re-do it if I got a good indication of the colour.

Need to sort the sling and rail covers but now it has to come apart for a spring swap to bring it down to sub 328fps, the max legal limit here.

I'll probably want to get a few Gucci parts in due course, I'm thinking of a TA-01 NSN 4x32 a PEQ LA-5 although I'm having difficulty telling the difference between an LA-5 and a PEQ-15 and maybe a torch of some kind.

Ok I was looking more closely at the differences, as far as I can see the LA-5 has turrets to adjust the illuminator and screws for the laser, the Peq -15 has screws for all, would that be correct? Also what colour? green, brown or black and what colour laser, seems I can have red or green? 

LA_5_01_br.jpg

LA-05, A-Turrets, B- Screws

Regarding the Scout Torch, what would fit best with a early to mid L119A1 look, 300V, 600V or something else, and again colour bearing in mind I'm keeping the rifle black?

Finally, the TA-01, there appear to be sights that look like 4x32 TA-01 but they're actually 1x32 Red Dot, they're vastly cheaper than the indentical (to me) TA-01 4x32 optical sight with reticule, I'm guessing the proper one is the 4x32 TA-01 NSN although all the ones I've looked at so far are marked as TA31.

Link to actual Trijcon ACOG TA-01NSN

Link to one I'm considering ACOG Type TA01 NSN

Apologies for all the questions and hope it's ok to post the above image and links.

Edited by Mehringer

You've identified the main aesthetic differences of the LA-5. In terms of a functioning reproduction you have two main options: element or FMA. I went with FMA for pure aesthetic reasons. Definitely go for tan which is the colour the units were issued in. Not sure about visible laser colour - I went for red.

For the light is go with an M600V as these were also issued.

The AGOG you've linked looks good, just avoid anything with a red dot and opt for 4x optics instead.

Thanks again Hicks, I appreciate your help. I did have a look on here and via google but wanted to double check before parting with the cash.

So I'm going for the ACOG I linked to, a tan LA-5 and a black M600V if I can find one.

Thanks again Hicks, I appreciate your help. I did have a look on here and via google but wanted to double check before parting with the cash.

So I'm going for the ACOG I linked to, a tan LA-5 and a black M600V if I can find one.

Actually it's the M600/M600U you'll want, not the M600V which is a later model!

All I can find are M600C although there doesn't seem to be that designation on the Surefire website, only M600. I ordered an M600C off ebay.

Again, thanks (even if it is costing me :D )

Edited by Mehringer

They use a plentyful of lights.. anything surefire really. Main Light is M600

However, most SFW´s i´ve seen had the 600 with a head similar to this:

KX4D-BK.jpg

Other lights are 910A, 720V, newer scout models, x200 type torches or older G2.

Also, Scouts with u94 heads and IR Filters attached.

But as said.. this is already covered in this thread.

BTW, what timeframe is your sfw going to cover?

Edited by tarte

Initially I was going for an early to mid 16", if I build a 10" then I'll go mid to present or thereabouts. I get the impression the basic L119A1 has remained the same but what dates it is what has been added such as sights, lights, lasers, flash hiders and magazines. So I can change the period by changing the add-ons, it isn't hyper critical to me, all I'm looking for is the general vibe. 

I know most of what I've asked has been covered but there appear to be few definitive answers as different people have different degrees of compromise regarding their build. I can get a few possibilities but just want to double check that I'm not straying too far from an L119A1. In the end for me it has to be at worst an issue L119A1 as close as possible with a few minor compromises rather than an M4 with a fat barrel.

As it stands I hope I've chosen a correct early to mid scope, mid IR Illuminator and a torch that could reasonably be expected to be used at any time.

Edited by Mehringer

Owning both, I'd say aesthetically the Element LA-5 is far superior. Also make sure to replace the shiny gold stickers both come with.

The one I ordered is FMA, it'll have to do now as I've spent enough already. This stuff better arrive when my wife is at work and I'm off or there'll be hell to pay :D

I can't complain too much, as I'm not on facebook but she is I had to get her to sort the parts from Warlord Tactical, running joke is that I'm building her an L119A1 but she'll let me play with it :o

I've just picked up another Cyma M4 to build a n L119A1 10", I went for the regular length M4 RIS this time for a variety of reasons where I went for the shorter CQBR for the 16". That sounds a bit strange but it works out better that way. The shorter CQBR allowed me to fit the Begadi barrel extension for the 16" but meant the inner barrel was a short CQBR version. I fitted an Army Code 10" barrel to the regular M4 and swapped the inner barrels around. I can however use the longer inner barrel on the 10" if I keep the suppressor fitted.

In the pic below I've fitted the 10" upper to the lower I had built for the 16" shown previously, still waiting for parts to complete the 2nd lower.

I ordered another Butt Pad & Sling Plate from Warlord Tactical, another DIS from Begadi and 2 x G&P M4A1 Stocks complete with stock tubes as the stock I currently have is a bit loose on the Cyma stock tube. I had to modify the G&P Storm grip to fit the Cyma receiver so this time I've gone for the Guarder version to see if it fits better. Also waiting for a 6" suppressor and an LA-5 ATPIAL .

The Army Code 10" barrel caused a few problems, basically it's between 10" and 10 1/2" so with the foresight fitted where it was meant to go on the barrel there was a gap between it and the RIS cap. I had 2 options really,

1. fit the RIS and slide the foresight tight against the RIS cap and hold it in place using only the grub screw below the sling loop, that meant more of the barrel protruded from the foresight.

2. place a spacer between the flange at the breech end of the barrel and the Delta Ring to push the RIS up tight to the foresight which resulted in only a couple of mm of the barrel protruding from the foresight.

As it is I've gone for option 2.

I had to trim the 556-212 flash hider that came with the suppressor to get it to fit on the barrel and then trim 5mm off the threaded section of the barrel to allow the flash hider to screw on fully. With the suppressor fitted there's about 2-3mm gap between the end of the suppressor and the foresight which AFAIK is ok, I don't think the suppressor touches the foresight on the RS L119A1 10" versions anyway.

Still need to paint the barrel, flash hider and foresight where I've removed the bayonet lug.

DSC_1174_copy.jpg

16" Upper, Long Inner Barrel for 16" or 10" with Suppressor fitted. Shorter Suppressor Ordered.

DSC_1175_copy.jpg

DSC_1176_copy.jpg

Too Long Suppressor, Chopped Surefire 556-212 type Flash Hider.

Edited by Mehringer

I think my L119A1 10" is finished, all depends on what you folks think as I'm not an expert by any means. I was aiming for a mid generation build so although I have a wing mount I'm not sure if I should use it, also not sure on whether I should have gone for a PEQ-2 rather than the PEQ-15 LA-5.

P5198234_copy.jpg

P5198236_copy.jpg

Good job on a first version mate. As always with these things, always a bit of tinkering can be done.

Edit. Might wanna flip the acog mount, won't get tangled on stuff so easily

Edited by Iceman

Thanks guys, yep there's always something else to do  :D

Good Point Iceman re the mounts, although I've got it slung for a rightie I'm actually a leftie, (apart from a pistol when I go rightie again) so need to swap the sling attachment, double benefit would be the weapon slung left which leaves my pistol clear on the right. Glad you pointed it out.  

Of course you should be comfortable shooting leftie and rightie unless you only ever make left turns in fibua in which case you should be un-slung.

Easier said than done, can't shoot for shit leftie. But yeah, assumed you were a rightie, flipping is not needed on a leftie.