The UKSF L119A1 Thread (inc SFW)

For anyone looking for the Mini Reddot Wing Mount the real issue item can be ordered through any gunshop from Shield Firearms & Sights. The cost is about £60, bit pricey but it's the real deal.

Edited because Red Bull not only gives you wings it also makes your fingers faster than your brain!

Edited by BigAl

Have you got a link BigAl? I couldn't see it on the site?

https://shieldpsd.sharepoint.com/Pages/SightMounts.aspx

As Al said, you would need to order one in via a UK reseller.  I have team mates who have done this in the past for other RS accessories such as flash hiders and genuine magpul parts.  Not sure where they went but will ask around.

Edit: apparently they also ship direct to customers:

For firearms sales in the UK, it's usually best to contact your local dealer, but we're happy to ship sights and other accessories directly to customers (export control-permitting).

Edited by Hicks

Hi chaps.

anyone got/or seen any ref pics of 16" with the bayonet lug cut off?

acquired a reinforced sight recently but I run both 10" and 16" on the same gun so a bit reluctant to chop it prematurely!

Thanks

Unlikely to be any images about or any 16" 'ers without the bayonet lug.  The lug is cut off so the Surefire suppressor fits flush (on 10"),  theres just no need to do it on the 16".

The reinforced sight is only needed for the L17A1 UGL, which only goes on the 16" version, a lot of people seem to chop it off mistakenly. As what Mike says, the 10" version never gets the UGL so it just has the unreinforced normal sight with the lug missing.

I've got the reinforced sight on my recoil as I occasionally run a 16" with the UGL; but most of the time I just run it in 10" form with a suppressor. 

Since i am interested in this topic (understand reading lots of forums, books, etc.) i found many informations which lead to result, there are no "rock solid L119A1 rules" to me. Except few non questionable details (barrel, pistol grip, DIS, old type stock - not sure) Reinforced front sight - is not "must have" because of L17A1, many std. M4s and L119s have std. front sight and L17A1(AC-G) is used... so, i am not sure if this reinforced front sight is really the main reason why it is built like that. Maybe its just a detail which differs. Bayonet lug - another maybe follows, maybe someone on HQ decided to equip soldiers with 10" carbines with best deal for silencers, soldiers found out, oops it does not work well together, so we need to cut the bayonet lug off... there are million examples how soldiers modify their gear, weapons etc., till this day. "Military realm" is the same market place where dealings, making money and of course mistakes do happened like anywhere else. My practical view of things.

Please, do not get me wrong. It's just my opinion. Maybe because english is not my native language i could overlook something important. But i do like this "L119 mystery". 

Edited by thomas_zee

The C8 CQB (which is what the 10" L119A1 takes its upper from) was never sold with a bayonet lug. You can see it on non UKSF C8CQB's as well (see other military units that use them and the RMP CP teams).

The reinforced front sights were originally fitted to the SFW but at some point Diemarco decided it wasn't needed and stopped fitting them in favor of the normal A type front sights (as seen on their C8A2's).

thomas_zee

I would say you are correct if you're talking about present day.

As the weapons have been in the armoury longer they have had more modifications done to them. 10 years ago all L119's seemed to look identical with the influx of aftermarket bits you can add onto M4's they have naturally filtered across onto the L119's.

Thanks for the info chaps,

I have another base gun on route for another l119a1 build, guess ill just run one of each :-)

Already chopped the lug off my standard foresight so will use the reinforced one on the 16, occasionally use my ugl but the bayonet lug isnt part of how I attach it.

Had anyone had any problems runnin a 10" inner barrel through a 16" barrel extension?

My new base is a ptw clone 10", so ideally dont wanna faff with new inner barrels/hop etc.

Edited by Guest

thanks AK, seem to be coming to the rescue of late!

I know the 10ers are the Gucci in thing these days, but got such a soft spot for a nice clean 16!

Clean 16's were used up until recently (I say this as like all things it takes a few months to filter out) with SFSG and Pathfinders, both of which use similar kit (if a l little less gucci) than the other guys. PF were photo'd with 16's just a few weeks ago but its a lot less Paraclete/Crye gear than you may want.

Edit: After ages of looking...

1497755_10151732099526595_509220077_n.jp
10 Dec 2013

Seceret Squirrel SFW´s arent THAT tricked out either..

Sure, they have the 10" barrel and Suppressor, but most still run a standard config.

If you spot something gucci, its actually just an anomaly and personal preference...

Most still have ACOG´s, Aimpoints with magnifiers are also used, but judging from pics, not as much as ACOGs.

What is frequent tho, Magpul BAD Levers.

Seen them on alomst every new SFW.

Oh yeah, and all are fvcked up looking as hell.

Edited by tarte

Just wanted to share my L119 I've finally finished, kindly nicknamed Kaylee (bonus internet cookie if you guess the character it's based on).

IMG_0128_zps30a237a4.jpg
IMG_0130_zpsb8ec7a58.jpg
IMG_0129_zps01536395.jpg

It's based on a WE M4A1 CQBR and have had the following done to it:

Angry Gun P-barrel.
Steel trigger set (not ra-tech).
Ra-tech NPAS.
Ingraved reciever.
Removed bayonet lug on frontsight.
RS stock and buttpad.
RS KAC RAS with covers and vert. grip.
Unknown brand pistolgrip.
Special made diemaco sling mount.
Element surefire M300C Scoutlight.
Unknown brand ACOG (will add doctor sight in the future).
Garmin Foretex 301.
Obligatory green tape.

I know it's pretty beat up, but I kinda like it.
Please comment and let me know what you think.