The UKSF L119A1 Thread (inc SFW)

The reason they issue the LDS is because its already on issue, therefore easier to get hold of if they need a replacement. ACOG's on the whole are gradually being phased out of the Army completely as it was only purchased as a UOR. UKSF bought the ACOG because you can't mount a SUSAT on a Diemaco. Having used both sights i would say the SUSAT is better due to its wider field of view.

Quick couple of questions about early 16" SFW.  Did they have the special front sight right from the off or did the first ones have regular front sight? Also My L119A1 has Colt Trades, I belive this is ok as older guns held in the armoury where often re barrelled or had new uppers on during the transitional phase. Is this correct?

Oh one last thing anyone kn ow where I can get a Wing mount?

Is that code for, "I can't find the correct front site and lower receiver" "can I still call it an SFW?"

Without those details, it'll just look like another m4 with a weird barrel IMO .

Rudy doesn't have any,i tried. He had loads of trouble with his suppliers ripping him off so he's not happy with all the hassle.

In other news warlord Tactical will be releasing the Wing Mount early 2014 along with the DIS. No prices yet but Whistler states that the DIS will be cheaper than Begadi.

Not bothered about a DIS as I always use optics ( old tired eyes ).

Mr Pie - No that is not code for "I can't find the correct front sight and lower receiver" "can I still call it an SFW?".  I like the Colt trades and believe I am correct that older weapons where often re barreled or had whole new uppers added. As for the sight I don't like the look of it, but if needed I will add it for authenticity.

While on the subject of trades where could I get my WE M4 Engraved for the 10" that is my next project?

It is correct, that the very first trial SFW´s were just shipped as upper receiver kits, mounted on m16 lowers.

These few also hat the normal frontsight, not the reinforced one.

However, i´m quite sure, these were never fielded..

Not every C8/SFW/L119A1 or whatever you want to call it uses the reinforced front sight triangle and they most definitely have been used in the field. :)

Sorry about the rubbish picture quality, I'll be taking some more when this is finally finished.  Need to sort out the front sight and redo the paint job but it's getting there so thought I'd share:

56j2.jpg

As in remove the bayonet lug  :D

Mr Pie - No that is not code for "I can't find the correct front sight and lower receiver" "can I still call it an SFW?".  I like the Colt trades and believe I am correct that older weapons where often re barreled or had whole new uppers added. As for the sight I don't like the look of it, but if needed I will add it for authenticity.

While on the subject of trades where could I get my WE M4 Engraved for the 10" that is my next project?

I think without the basics you'll have what looks like a M4 with a diemaco barrel....

If you can't be bothered to get the trades....just fit a magwell grip or a redimag...both proven to be used.

As for the front sight, change it to a 10" and lop the lug off and you are good to go!!

Bit off advice please ,i have a g&g top tech 2 which is being slowly converted into my new 10inch sfw , is the lower compatible with say a dragonred sfw body ???

I saw a couple in the Falklands this time last year (approximately, could have been as late as February this year, time has no meaning in the South Atlantic), on top of 16" being carried by what I assume were RM/SBS. 

Edited by JCheeseright

Ok the only reason I asked is that I know SBS don't have them in the Sqn, how many did you see? As it could have been a trail?

I know RM have them so then I would say SFSG as they have there own budget.

Just two, everything else was in cases they were loading into a RHIB, didn't get to have a proper look, just what I could see them shifting out of a land rover.  Definitely weren't your standard bootnecks though, no headgear, all wearing DPM, no immersion suits (borderline suicidal in the Falklands), chucked a load of gucci looking kit into the back of an offshore raider and buggered off into the blue. 

I think without the basics you'll have what looks like a M4 with a diemaco barrel....

If you can't be bothered to get the trades....just fit a magwell grip or a redimag...both proven to be used.

As for the front sight, change it to a 10" and lop the lug off and you are good to go!!

A SFW is an M4 with a different barrel. As already established I'll have bitsa gun just like one put together by the armourers rather than factory.  IF I cut the barrel and sight to a 10" it wouldn't be a very accurate 16" replica would it? :)

The point is that when they are so similar the devil is in the details, things like the front sight make or break it as a SFW. You can always flex on one or two details, but if you take the easy way on everything it does look just a M4.

Nope I have what I WANT an accurate replica of an early SFW. What sights where used first on these would an M2 be plausible and if so what mount, would rather not use a crappy ACOG Replica.

Edited by BigAl

Well for your "accurate early replica" the only sights you have the option of are a TA01 acog or a DIS as that's what it's issued with. All the pictures from afghan when it was first used indicate this.