The SA80/L85 thread

Look on youtube, there are plenty of gearbox strips there, to be honest, if you have any mechanical aptitude, its not rocket science. Make a cardboard template of the gearbox and put the screws in the position they came out, do the same laying out all components on a sheet of paper.

Advantage against a V2 Gearbox is you can remove the spring first so its not like a virgin V2 gearbox un-assemble where it just explodes when you split the box without putting some pressure on the spring/ spring guide.

Anyone have leads which docter-copys work with the winged mounts? Got mine from RSOV and the screws are different size than the winged mount's holes.

I got a docter from Steven Bates on ebays site. I'll dig out the link later when not on phone - that fitted. Bought it some time ago though, I wouldn't swear to him still selling the same model.

I bought another from there with an acog for my L119, that had the same issue with the wing mount. I didn't want to experiment buying tonnes of expensive sights, so my solution was to superglue the screws in with loctite. Have to make sure you glue the screws into the mount rather than glueing the whole sight to the mount.

That way you can still undo the screws to change the battery, the glue just splinters up. Then you just repeat the procedure to do it up.

Works fine provided you get the sight straight before the glue drys. You also have to use a brittle glue, if you use epoxy resin or tough super glues you might not be able to unscrew again, or it might not splinter out to allow replacement.

That's a cheap and lazy, if marginally less secure, way to get round it.

Guys, can someone confirm the make of the RS flash hider on the L85A2? I thought it was a Vortex by BE Meyers? i have in front of me a document (regarding hearing protection for certain weapon systems) and it staes that that there is a "standard" and "suerfire" flash hider??

Custom lengthened barrel (Std STAR one is too short)

How much is it too short? Is the barrel that comes with UGL long enough (about the flashhiders lenght longer)?

Jay8, thanks for the tip, though I'm trying to avoid glue-contraptions.

Ooooh good question,

Not sure but heres a close up, about 17mm I think, 15mm copper pipe is what I used sanded and filed so no gap. I notice it was short when I compared some side views and took some measurements of some pictures I scaled up to full size

I think here it fits the most. ;)

A friend of mine got an G&G L85 with RIS.

He really dont want to have some wires hanging out of the gund, so he wants a battery inside the gun.

I told him there are 2 options, an LiPo inside the RIS or the TMH.

So what Battery-packs (LiPo or LiFePo) will fit inside the RIS or TMH (prefered) without dremeling anything? ;)

Beacuse i onyl use LiFePo i'm new to LiPo's.

Are 7,4V enough? Or better take an 11,1V? How long will last an LiPo with ~1000mAh?

This was discussed a few pages back, there's a picture of my G&G TMH on page 9 with a 7.4v 1300mAh LiPo from Component Shop fitted. A 7.4v is just fine in a stock gun, fit an 11.1v and you're getting into the realm of upgrading your gearbox if you want it to last any length of time.

What about STAR and 11.1V? I've been playing with a normal handguard and a 11.1V 1400 mAh for over a year. ROF seems fine and no problems. I would assume 7.4 would have problems running the thing if 11.1 gives normal ROF?

Swaffield, nice setup. UGL is nice, I also have it, but it's hell on the arms.

No idea about the Star/ARES, I know the 7.4v gives me an RoF at least as good as my old 8.4v NiCd/NiMh batteries so would assume that an 11.1v would be akin to slapping a 10.8v/12v NiCd/NiMh into my G&G.

Sounds like the airsoft UGL is heavier than the real thing. We had an L85/L123 combo in at work for safe custody week before last. It's the first time I've had a close look at the real UGL and I was surprised at how light the whole thing felt. Admittedly there was no optical sight on the rifle as it was going to be fitted to a rig and the UGL fired remotely.

Anyone have info on what type of rail cover is issued with the rail? I've seen a lot of pictures with ladder-type, but is the color tan or OD?

I think it's Tan Magpul Ladder type... Not 100% on that though. Even if they aren't issued, they are certainly the most prevelant based off photos.

I use OD ladder type on mine personally, looks much better imo.

Magpul Tan ladder rail covers they are, and issued they are also. Comes with the WEK (Weapon Expansion Kit) which includes the DD Rail, Grippod and four lengths of the rail cover.

Magpul Tan ladder rail covers they are, and issued they are also. Comes with the WEK (Weapon Expansion Kit) which includes the DD Rail, Grippod and four lengths of the rail cover.

the rail covers are actually made by ergo grip not magpul ;)

http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4373-3PK&storeid=1&image=lowprocvr1109.gif&CFID=14479670&CFTOKEN=74585978

Ics L85A2 provlems

I have a very low Fps on my L85. The range is ok but the min fps should be around 330 on the lowest setting but I'm getting below 300 on the highest setting. How do I fix this really annoying problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just been flicking through an old copy of KIT magazine, found an update on the FIST project concerning weapon sights. The following is on issue/ will be issued...eventually

UGL- eotech 552 grenade version

SA80- ACOG w/ docter- UOR

- LDS (specter w/ docter) for front line units

- Aimpoint Comp M4 for rear units

- Iron sight to be kept in central locations and to be issued for jungle deployments.

- SUSAT and IRON sights to bephased out of units as replacements become available.

On a related note there is also a silencer available apparently!