The SA80/L85 thread

I asked that same question recently and was advised that if I didn't want to take a Dremel to the interior of my RIS that 1200 to 1300 mAh would be the limit. So I'll be buying x2 1300mAh LiPos and changing them over at lunchtimes.

Edited by Guest
Please leave moderating to the mods. If you think something is wrong then please use the report button

Ive got a madbull dd Ris on order from red wolf and I'm in the middle of ordering;

Element EX214 Advance Multi-Function Aiming Device,

Hornbill Products' L85 / SA80 ACOG Scope Raiser Mount and A.C.M. ACOG TA31 style 4x scope with auto on/off dot sight bundle set (Black),

'Building Fire' LaRue Style Tactical IndexClips set for 20mm rail

And A.C.M. bipod grip for rail

All from RSOV

I just wanted to find out if I was gonna get slapped with a big charge when it arrived.

Sorry if Ive asked in the wrong thread, I'm just excited to try and get my ICS l85 looking like the way some of you guys have yours.

It is just a game of wait and see I'm afraid. If you're planning a big order from HK it's only sensible to figure in import duty before hand and if you don't get stung then all well and good. My experience has been that if you have a courier delivery (TNT, UPS et al) then expect import duty 99.9% of the time if it's owed. Parcelforce I've found to be less predictable. When I got into WW2 re-enacting for example when I ordered an M1942 Paratroop uniform from At The Front got charged by Parcelforce but six weeks later and a full set of M1936 webbing they didn't charge me a thing. If I have a choice in postage I'll always choose HK Post/EMS Speedpost as that will route through Parcelforce at this end. Jeez I'm actually promoting PF, despite them being so "efficient"! ;)

Take the cost of your item & devide it by 6.That will be the price customs charges you if they hold your package.Then add £13.50 on top for the good folks at Poocel Farce.That's a rough amount but it seems to be right for me.

Sorry if Ive asked in the wrong thread

Chances are that if you have to make a comment like that then you're 99.9% sure that it is in the wrong place.

Either that or you haven't made it clear what you're asking.

Got my new RIS rails stuck on at long last. It was a painful and arduous task that took several hours but I think it is finally on correctly. It does not look exactly accurate compared to most other fittings of the rail but i think this is mostly to do with the fact that i had to adapt the rail to fit, just a sacrifice i had to make i guess. The main inaccuracy is the lack of gas parts as they cannot fit any more. The positioning of the rail is also a bit off compared to real steel but it actually looks smarter like this anyway I think. The other noticeable feature is the external battery. The battery is in a battery sling with a wire all the way down through the sling up to the wee connector sticking out of a gap on the rails. I couldn't be arsed switching to Lipos!!! tongue.png

For reference it is an ACM Ris rail attached to an ICS L85A2 using the adaptor kit by ACM. I don't think many others have done this set up so if anyone needs help with it they can ask me

DSCF0482.jpg

DSCF0481.jpg

DSCF0484.jpg

The positioning of the rail is also a bit off compared to real steel but it actually looks smarter like this anyway I think.

Keep telling your self that mate , I'm sure you'll, believe it eventually ! LoL

well I do think it looks smarter because the top rail is more flush with the top of the gun. A nicer finish I think. And to be honest as long as the whole thing stays together I don't care how realistic it is :P

I've got to agree with Druid on that score I'm afraid, you may like it but it ain't right and it looks gash to my eye. Still as long as you're happy with it then crack on! :)

Yea i don't see any other way of fitting the rail system and I still like the look of it anyway so it serves its purpose for me really. To the majority of people especially without a reference picture or gun to compare it to will not notice the difference.

To be honest - I don't like it but it is hardly the biggest inaccuracy I have seen in a modernised L85.

The wire going to the gun from the pouch looks abit weird and seems to be liable to catch in things. Maybe consider a PEQ2 for the SFSG look - if your top rail allows one to be fitted that is?

Not a problem with it matey , as long as your happy all that matters . Just too me looks like its 'sagging' , and do agree likly to snag that wire as its at the front and looks like theres a lot of spare loop to catch , I'd go with a PEQ as well ( though me my self ive got lipo inside the rail of mine) .

Ok much filing, lubricating, hammering, screwing, unscrewing, painting, sweat and tears has gone into this but I think I finally have it attached right. I have also sourced an Acog for it just need the riser mount and we're near done!

newDSCF0485.jpg

Yea i will probably end up pimping the Acog i've got now. My main focus for now is finding a battery solution that works well, probably a trial and error thing. I want one of those LLM's aswell, they look good.

Ok much filing, lubricating, hammering, screwing, unscrewing, painting, sweat and tears has gone into this but I think I finally have it attached right. I have also sourced an Acog for it just need the riser mount and we're near done!

newDSCF0485.jpg

I think the guys were overly harsh with their critisms of the gun.Ok it was inacurate but their critisms have got you to rectify the problem.Believe me;& the other members when i say if you had satisfied yourself with the way your gun looked you would have soon got peeved by all the comments your fellow players would have come up with when you went to a game.

The end result speaks volumes about you wanting to get it right & it does look better because of that.

Ah well done sir! Well worth your efforts! To continue the peer pressure though I will say don't discount the LiPo option out of hand. It's not as big a pain as all that. I got myself a LiPo capable charger to start with (A Turnigy Accucell 6) and then batteries later on so as to spread the cost. I've never liked external battery solutions, I want my guns to look as correct as I can have them so where the L85 RIS was concerned I had no other option. But given the benefits of switching to LiPos it's no hardship anyway. Rolling Thunder's right too so my apologies for the application of the word "gash" before but as I said I'm one of those driven by that insane need to have everything just right if I can manage it.

Also get yourself a Surefire style flash eliminator as they do look the dog's danglies when fitted.

Another thought for a later date is upgrading your connectors from Tamiya type to Deans. I've changed all my AEGs over the past couple of years and besides the improvement in the electrical connection it means if a battery will physically fit in one of my guns I can use it and not care if it's a big or small Tamiya.

:)

I use Lipos & it has made a differance to my enjoyment of my AEG.I no longer have problems in the cold & the gun is reliable. The only pain is buying a charger & new batteries if you are already set up for Nimh

I use Lipos & it has made a differance to my enjoyment of my AEG.I no longer have problems in the cold & the gun is reliable. The only pain is buying a charger & new batteries if you are already set up for Nimh

Thats the problem for me! It seems like so much effort and expense to make the move to Lipo's in the first place

Thats the problem for me! It seems like so much effort and expense to make the move to Lipo's in the first place

www.component-shop.co.uk

Dirt cheap lipo, in any size and with any connector you can think of.

How's the Acog?

Now that was exactly my rationale for sticking with NiMh. It was the upgrading of my L85A2 that finally spurred my move to LiPos helped along by the sudden death of my previous charger. It was at that point that I decided to start down the LiPo road with my new Turnigy charger. Now we all need to buy new batteries from time to time but now it's simply a case of buying LiPo batteries instead of NiMhs. Of course I can still use my old batteries until they eventually shuffle off this mortal coil so I've not lost anything.