The SA80/L85 thread

If your handy at DIY, just buy a handguard, and bolt on a short RIS rail. Its what i did in NI, LSW foregrip bolted onto the handguard and screwed on a RIS rail from Midway UK so i could mount my surefire.

Time to post pictures of my guns.Both are Army Armament R85s.

SA80L85A1A23.jpg

SA80L85A1A21.jpg

The A2 is on top with the VFC LLM attached & the A1 is on the bottom with the SUSAT i've just recieved.I've bought another LLM for the A1 so i need to fix a rail to the front furniture so i can mount it.

Hi all,

Stumbled across this thread a few times recently so I thought I'd post. Been skirmishing for about 4 months now and I'm looking to get my first AEG. After quite a lot of looking and waiting for my free money from the government... sorry, I mean my student loan :), I'm leaning towards the L22A2, althought looking at the upgraded A2's here I may change my mind yet.

Anybody had much experience with them? Good makes. etc.

And would you reccomend them?

Thanks

Wellcome , Have you seen one for sale ? Reason I ask is there prity rare and would think your only hope is a second hand one .

I like the look of the L22 - my first airsoft gun was a springer version.

I considered one when I got my A2 - but my concern was that they are the worst of all worlds. My thinking is that they offer the exact same internals as an L85 amd for the most part are identical - the only thing you get is a more compact weapon. The L85A2 is already quite compact, and is aout the same total length as my 10in SFW, certainly for games where there is the occasional need for CQB, I haven't found the L85 unweildy. The L22 is really going to be a decent but not amazing assault rifle, and would seem to be suited for CQB. I find though that proximity of the VFG to the pistol grip and the fact it is back heavy and needs to be shouldered would make it very unmanouvreable when compared to a proper SMG.

Personally I would seriously consider the L85 proper, although ofcourse bear in mind that to modernise one takes abit of money to do right, it will do almost as well as an L22 in CQB and markedly better at longer ranges - so will be more flexible, and you can put cool stuff on it ;)

Whatever you go for though, L22 or modernised L85, you will end up with a really unique gun, they certainly attract abit of attention.

Thanks for making my decision a bit more difficult :L

Whats the consensus as towards the best L85A2, in terms of reliability, build quality, similarity to the real thing and ease of upgrade to a modernised version?

Thanks for the opinions so far.

I got round to using my AA L85 A2 all of today.I'm still bedding in the hop so it has fantastic range but the BB suddenly shoots Skywards over 60 feet from the gun which was rather annoying.I was trying to adjust the hop but i was seriously concerned about the amount of rain that was getting in my gun today so i tried to have the dust cover down as little as possible.The gun performed flawlessly all day & i changed my 1100 Lipo battery during dinner to ensure it carried on like that.

I've just removed the battery from my gun & noticed the screws on the RIS which hold the small pieces of metal which keep the top cover closed,have unscrewed themselves during today.I've lost one & another one was almost unscrewed to the point of dropping out.they are now tightened but it's one thing to keep an eye on during the use of the RIS?

The choice of which L85 to buy is a very subjective thing, the majority I see at sites are either ARES/Star or Army. I own a G&G, I bought it in 2005 as an A1 and it's now updated to the current A2 format. Despite the early problems most G&G owners experienced I still don't regret choosing it over the Star. The main thing I've always liked about it is that it field strips in a broadly similar fashion to the real L85, something that can't be said for the ARES/Star. One thing that can be agreed upon is that the G&G is better suited to the more experience player who also isn't afraid to get stuck into the gearbox ands sort those existing niggles out.

I dont know the rules about posting links to shopping websites so if the practice isnt allowed Ill delete this.

On this one at Redwolf, http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/AEG_AEP_G_G_G_G_L85A2.htm, It says, New Type Gearbox, would this mean it's newer than your 2005 one?

There's also the G&G L22 on the site as well, http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/AEG_AEP_G_G_G_G_L85_AFV.htm.

I can't comment on any other brands except STAR and ARES since I don't own any. I currently have a STAR which has performed very well - the only thing that has bugged me about it is the integrated hop and gearbox unit, which makes upgrading the hop abit less simple. The ARES is a very close relative of the STAR, and both are exact RS dimensions, unlike any other L85 replica.

The ARES is basically a better STAR, with an upgraded gearbox, better external finish and no screws holding the upper receiver in place (The STAR has screws thsat aren't present on the real thing).

In terms of modernising, Hornbill sorts you for flash hiders and ACOG risers, and ofcourse any ACOG will work, the correct one has a full length fibre optic running across the top.

The real difference is on the RIS units. For ARES/STAR you have to go with a real Daniel Defence RIS - This is no bad thing though, you get exceptional quality, and although they used to be expensive, can now be had for even less than a Madbull replica. There was an ACM RIS for ARES/STAR floating around a while ago, but I wouldn't know where to turn it up now.

I believe there is an ACM replica for G&G/ARMY which is the cheapest option for a RIS, and Madbull make replicas for ICS and G&G/ARMY.

As for build quality, my STAR is exemplary, as you can see from the picture posted near the start of the threat, I have battered mine about and it has held up great, and any scratches and wear just makes it look better. I have dropped it down a fairly steep flint faced hill and when I retreived it from bottom and test fired it, fearing the worst, it just shot a clump of mud out it's barrel and got back to business as usual.

Since I love L85s, I am shortly going to be replacing it as my primary skirmish weapon with a completely new ARES to modernise, but that is purely on cosmetic grounds and wanting a new project to tinker away on. Absolutely the only criticism I would have of a modernised STAR or ARES is that they are heavy - not unrealistically so, but compared to an M4 you feel the difference.

Im thinking ARES is the way to go then. Concerning upgrade to the modernised version, whats the list of parts Ill need?

ARES L85A2

Daniel Defense RIS

ACOG and Riser

Magpull EMAG

Flash Hider ??

Foregrip ??

As this is related to the L85/SA80 thread i thought i'd post here so you guys can make your own mind up?

A quick review on my Element LLM for the L85 or G36 rifles.I've based this in a direct comparison to my VFC LLM i aquired recently.

The Element LLM represents better value for money than the VFC version.The Element version has a working IR illuminator & IR Designator which is missing in the VFC version which costs nearly 3 times as much once you consider the customs charges. The element version has a working Laser {even if it is so far out of allignment that i will need to adjust it}.Finally i come to the torch.It's bright, so bright i nearly blinded myself when i accidently turned it on while looking at it. I suppose it could also be used as a sunbed if needs be,i could feel the heat coming off the lamp from nearly a meter away.I hope this doesn't cause problems when the torch is being use for any length of time but i'll follow this report up once i have some experience from using it.

EBAirsoft seem to be out of stock at the moment but i'm sure the Element LLMs will pop elsewhere soon enough.The Element LMM cost me £35.40 including postage from ebairsoft

http://www.ebairsoft.com/element-ex214-advance-multi-function-aiming-device-p-5299.html

As a final word i will say that the VFC LLM seems to be better quality materials than the Element version & the VFC LLM operates on 1 CR123 Battery where as the Element version takes 2.

And sourcing a real DD ris is nigh on impossible :L

Perhaps I'll just wait until madbull get their act together.

The ACOG isn't technically right - it shouldn't have the BUIS - the fibre optic should run to the end of the hood. Not that noticeable and avoids modding docter mounts onto it.

And there is a DD rail available - I'll PM you on it.

A rail, wing mounts, cantilever mount, battery solution and an emag and you should have a good modernised L85 which would just need details like the flash hider and gripod/rail covers etc...