The SA80/L85 thread

As i've pointed out to Merpol on facebook,i've seen the mount mounted that way on a weapon on the Ross Kemp in Afghanistan programme & now i understand why.With the scope mounted in such a way i don't have to mess with the eye relief & have a clear sight picture when i bring the weapon to my shoulder.I'll try mounting it the other way but if it doesn't work for me then it goes back how it is.

Yeah but you can't make a forward facing scope mount face backwards :P

@sandbagfiller, my flash hider is for the G&G/AA version so it's threaded.Not sure about the STAR/ARES versions although i believe the ICS version isn't threaded.So it depends on the make of your L85 as to how you would fix the flash hider.

On a differant tack the VFC V Light is on it's way to me as is a SUSAT for my A1.Just need to upgrade my A1s gear bax to stop it jamming & i'm sorted {& possibly attach a mag release protector?} :lol:

Can't help you on that one i'm afraid,i've only ever used the real L85 A1. If the inner diameter of the flash hider allows it to fit snugly over your STAR L85 barrel i'd suggest gluing it on after you've drilled a hole for a grub screw to keep it all in place.If it is possible to put a thread on the barrel it might be worth tapping the flash hider & fitting on your gun that way? Otherwise stick with the glue & grubscrew option.

Alternatively,buy this http://www.rsov.com/...14486&cateId=49 & sell the flash hider you have & save all the messing about???? B)

You need to machine out the RS flash hider to take an inner barrel and outer barrel to the relevant parts and then to add a thread, unless you just want to glue it on once it is sufficently widened. I have one, and I'm going to get the ACM one since I just can't get the facilities for find a place that will be able to sort the RS one. Are there any ACM ones with the correct trades/surefire logo and code etc?

And I have only ever seen a cantilever mount used backwards like that on a Minimi, I am not sure it works on an L85. And to nitpic slightly, the ACOG shouldn't have ironsights and the fibre optic should run the full length and the docter should have wing mounts. It looks good though - and if I can get my SUSAT accurate enough, I will switch back to it too, after a daliance with the ACOG, I am just thinking the SUSAT looks better.

Mind if I ask for a link to which one? There appear to be two for sale for each brand.

Also can anyone point me towards a docter sight mount for a Specter DR scope please? I can find them as complete sets with the specter but would like to track down the mount/docter separately. I know both currently available sights would be incorrect but I am looking at it as a potential option.

Cheers for that - Knew I'd seen them somewhere, but couldn't track them down - Doesn't help that everywhere spells Specter and Docter differently.

Element announced it ages ago but I decided to go for the VFC as the mount was more accurate to the real thing. However that appears to have been a a major mistake if all is it appears with the Element one, not least the price and the fact I got stung with £32 import charges on mine, which I've not paid yet, they can wait until the new year....

.I'll buy an Element version to fit to my A1 version

Nah , for your A1 you need a maglite black nastied to the forgrip for an 'authentic look'