The SA80/L85 thread

I had a play with the AFV recently and although it has a surefire flash hider it was slightly different as it had grooves cut into it around the circumference. I don't have a pic but it wasn't the only one to have this.

i've scoured this thread for answers but if i missed it, please just shout the page number at me and i'll be happy again!

i have an ICS SA80A2 and i've added a SUSAT, Daniel Defence RIS and RS Grippod. i'm attempting to model it on my 2010 issue weapon so i won't be adding an ACOG or surefire flash hider. pics to follow later this weekend.

questions are; 

a) what size/shape battery are people using to fit inside the RIS? has anyone got a pic?

and 

B) i was annoyed when there were no HK trades on the ICS model. has anyone seen any decals for the TM above the buttstock?

ta!

what size/shape battery are people using to fit inside the RIS? has anyone got a pic ?

I've fitted a 7.4v 2600 lipo crane stock in it in the past , but now I run a a 9.9v 800 LiFe in it (both fitted under the barrel) hope this helps .

i was annoyed when there were no HK trades on the ICS model. has anyone seen any decals for the TM above the buttstock?

A guy with the username Panoptes did some custom ones a good few years ago (probably back on UKAN/ASCUK, he's not listed as a member here), but sold out I seem to remember. He's about on a few other UK forums, so you could try to ask where he got them printed.

The artwork wouldn't be too much trouble, it's just finding somewhere with an ALPS printer that can print white as nearly all support and spares for them has stopped. Fantasyprintshop.co.uk might be able to do them if given the artwork, but the owner is apparently selling up.

Edit - Fantasyprint shop's minimum run is 25 sheets of A4 - That's a lot of decals!

Edited by Deve

what size/shape battery are people using to fit inside the RIS? has anyone got a pic ?

I've fitted a 7.4v 2600 lipo crane stock in it in the past , but now I run a a 9.9v 800 LiFe in it (both fitted under the barrel) hope this helps .

Helps a great deal. many thanks! this will also fit the stock of my VFC HK416 as well

i was annoyed when there were no HK trades on the ICS model. has anyone seen any decals for the TM above the buttstock?

A guy with the username Panoptes did some custom ones a good few years ago (probably back on UKAN/ASCUK, he's not listed as a member here), but sold out I seem to remember. He's about on a few other UK forums, so you could try to ask where he got them printed.

The artwork wouldn't be too much trouble, it's just finding somewhere with an ALPS printer that can print white as nearly all support and spares for them has stopped. Fantasyprintshop.co.uk might be able to do them if given the artwork, but the owner is apparently selling up.

Edit - Fantasyprint shop's minimum run is 25 sheets of A4 - That's a lot of decals!

yeah, that's quite a few more than i was looking for! i shall keep a look out

anyone have problems with mag seating on the ICS model? KWA PMags fit like a dream yet M4 STANAG mags have ALOT of wobble. and all because i can't find mid cap EMags anywhere now they are discontinued :(

Edited by Pierce09

I've got a second gen one and it's an absolute corker . It's running around the 350fps mark (so a nice 335 with .25s) only down side would be I need to feed it on 11.1v lipos (sluggish as hell on 7.4s) and I can just about squeeze a short 1300 stick in the batt compartment , so if your at an active scurmish you'll need two batts for the day .

Hi guys...quick question...can i use a 7.4v LiPo in an ICS L85A2 without beefing up the wiring and motor?

ICS turbo 3000 motor is pretty good but i dont wanna wreck the wiring...any thoughts?

My SA-80, Army L85A1 c/w Daniel Defence RIS, Surfire flash hider and ACOG with Red Dot, LLM-01 and Gripod. Swapped to Deans, Disconnected the Blow Back function, runs with a 1300 mAh 7.4V 25C 8wh which fits above the barrel under the top cover.

DSC_1163_copy.jpg

DSC_1164_copy.jpg

It has the wrong type cocking handle and no guard around the mag release but at the price I can live with that.

Finally finished my afghan spec l85a2 on saturday.

Ics l85a2, upgraded hop rubber and bucking.6.03 barrel.

Madbull Daniel defence rail with ics adapter kit.

Ant supplies foliage green ladder covers

Nuprol llm

Real steel grippod

Ant supplies sight rail with WE 4x 'Phantom' spectre dr sight with swiss arms bb shield

Beta project m75 round mags with genuine magpulls.

11212758_10153218653789454_5728298763992

I run a 9.9v 1000mah LiFe battery Mehringer.

It fits perfectly in the section under the barrel on the dd rail. Gives around 7-800 shots a battery which is the only downside, so you need a few to get you through the day (i used 2 all day yesterday).

Yeah there's plenty of space under the barrel for Lipo or LiFe but in the end I went for a smaller battery above the barrel as I couldn't be bothered taking the DD rail off, it's a pita on my Army L85, I have to open the top cover, loosen the barrel clamp, slide the rail forward, remove the screw at the front of the trigger guard etc. I did have to remove the dummy gas regulator to fit the battery but made a dummy that extends forwards of the gas block but doesn't extend back into the space below the top cover, at least not as far as the stock one.

How do you like the L85 in general? I find mine is very butt heavy and with the LLM-01 fitted the front grip is a bit too close to the pistol grip for my liking, seems like my hands are too close together.

It's not the best handling gun I've used but there's something about it if you know what I mean :)

p.s. Where did you pick up the Spectre?

Edited by Mehringer

I just loosen the front sling mount, remove a screw just infront of the trigger guard and slide the rail forwards then slide the battery into the rear of the dd rail. more awkward than it needs to be but not too much drama really.

I don't know if the construction is different on the ICS or what but i find the gun to handle ok. But then i was used to carry the real steel for 6 years in the reserves lol.

I fiddled with the position of the grippod to suit my arms and find mine comfortable But i'm only 5'7 but fairly broad, but can imagine some guys who are taller or have longer arms would find it a tad awkward. Could move your grippod further forward and side mount your llm.

I got the spectre from patrolbase. Its locked to 4x on the optics, but you have the red dot on top and a ironsight on one side to boot.

Yeah mine is slightly different then, the bottom screw is actually hidden by the trigger guard which is why I have to loosen the barrel clamp and slide the Rail forwards (after removing the sling mount, forgot about that)

I'm I bit taller then at 5 10, slim with long arms, I could move the LLM to the side, I hadn't really thought about that, something to try tomorrow B)

Getting real fed up with my Star L85. Blowing fets, issues with hop up, feel of the trigger and the general buggery that is using the RIS with it. Is the ICS one better, should I try to sell the Star and switch brands?

Here's a free digital copy of Airsoft International magazine, there's a group test of most of the SA80's apart from the cheapie Army Armament version (which I have)

You might as well have a read. FWIW I'm happy with my Army Armamentversion and again for what it's worth here's a feature on making the G&G version (and as such the clone Army version) more reliable.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/10160989/G-G-L85A1#scribd