The SA80/L85 thread

Try finding a 20c or 25c battery

Was a 25c :-(

No big for me if its painted or not (if it gives even the minutest amount of tactical advantage for not seeing the gun for that extra split second , go for it ) A friend in fire and rescue was telling me ages ago about his armour having apoplexy when they brought there weapons back in and they'd been camo'ed , he reckoned the reaction wouldn't have been any worse if he de-flowered the guys virginal 18yr old daughter ! He'd done it as they'd been to a recovery and the guys there had all painted there guns and as stupid as it sounds his black against there's really really stood out (one of those things that hits you when it's laid out in front of you ?) so him and his team promptly painted there L85s !

Just shows as has been stated the way different units in force the policy on it .

Theres a huge thread over on ARRSE about the painting of rifles and in the latest KIT mag its mentioned in there now that it is now sanctioned army wide, apparently armourers are meant to train the blokes and then they do it themselves. I cant see the point in painting the whole thing tan though. The whole reason it was brought in was for cam and concealment and a big block colour just doesnt do that. Completely defeats the purpose of spraying it in the first place.

I do think i may get myself an L85 though. got all the parts i need for a modern conversion, RS shit too. ACOG,Rail, Grippod and FH. Cant bring myself to sell them though.

Edited by Arnie

Druid - I ran my old G&G L85 on 11.1v LiPo's for two years without incident. Didn't replace a single part

Cheers bud your exactly what I wanted ! Some one who's actually done it !

Quick question for you , do you remember what 11.1v batt it was ? Mah and C rating if poss please .

Greatly appreciated good sir .

Edited by Druid

It was the second 11.1v in this link:

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/airsoft_li-po.html

Ran one of those exact ones in mine without issue. Plus, on the G&G if you shorten the wires and remove the fuse then the battery sits in the lower receiver under the safety switch mech as if it was designed for it. Means you can run a DD front end cleanly without a mass of wires and stupidly tiny LiPo's in the RIS.

Another nice little bonus is that the above setup means that the upper and lower recievers are not connected by wires which means that stripping is an absolute dream. Why did I ever get rid of mine?!?

Mah baby's most recent photos:

537927_10151296824482913_1982037795_n_zps134e8c8d.jpg

P1010895_zpsdd2c61e9.jpg

Sorry about the second one not being a proper gun shot. Comments on kit to the relevant section, or message me!

I'll post some pictures of my gun tomorrow but for now i thought i'd post a picture of my Scope with finished Wing Mount. I've used a Wing Mount sourced from Ebairsoft so i've have to use some Chemical Metal to fill the holes in the wings.It's isn't 100% yet but not bad for my first time using Chemical Metal.

WingMountonScope_zpsf5b3058f.jpg

Here is my Army R85A1, running far better than it did when I received it

584bd541-44ae-4ca6-bfe7-36036cb7f787_zps

Eventually, I will convert it over to an A2 however other projects need finishing first - specifically my M4 rebuild.

Internally, I've completely overhauled it. Work so far completed:

Disconnected the Blowback system (Bit of a no brainer there!)

De-greased the gearbox as it was thick with awful factory grease

Replaced the ARMY Piston with a TM Piston and 10mm spacer

New M100 Spring - sits at 320fps on the chrono

Changed the sector gear for a standard V2 gear

Changed the Army motor for a TM EG-700

Removed the de-cocking mechanism (personal choice on this - I found it tricky to get back on right)

Changed the ARMY hop unit for a G&G unit and Cold resistant rubber

Cleaned the inner barrel out

Still suffers from the odd Semi Auto lock-up but I plan to solve this with an AB Mosfet - all being well, that should resolve the lock up issue.

I'll be honest, I am not fond of the R.I.S system for the front of the L85 - I'm quite happy to run mine on a 8.4v 2200mah in the foregrip. I'm going to use the ACOG riser so all being well, the eye relief will be much better.

Does anybody knows what's the name or reference of the paint in use for the L85A2 please ?