The SA80/L85 thread

I would strongly suggest contacting G&G directly for L85/R85 spare parts. Within the past two weeks I had to purchase a bolt carrier plate, A2 cocking handle with grub screw for my G&G L85. The whole lot cost about £27 inclusive of p&p from Taiwan, a substantial saving up against purchasing from a UK supplier.

Simply go on their website, find the appropriate exploded parts diagram and identify the parts required. Next email them with your info and then they invoice you via PayPal. Nice and easy and I had my spares about ten days after initially contacting them.

I agree with what you are saying Tarnish but i had the Bolt Carrier Plate the next day from the UK which suited me.Previously i have ordered straight from G&G for parts not available in this Country & i got horribly stung by Customs. That may not happen again but i wont bothered again unless i really can't source parts.

Fair enough, guess I've been relatively lucky with customs over the years. Only rarely have I had duty applied to smaller cheaper items, so for that reason I'm often willing to take the chance.

Edited by Guest

Actually seeing as we are on this subject i realised what it was i bought. I bought an A2 cocking handle as none were available in the UK at the time.G&G also sent me a couple of patches. Between HMRC & the Post Office i paid £23+ in charges. I think in future i'd better ask them to send it first class rather than registered signed for post as i think that is how i incurred the wrath of the HMRC.

i have advised a couple of friends who are doing the same A2 build to go straight to G&G but they have a list of replacement parts they need to order between them.

Actually i feel the need to post pictures of my A1 & A2 together.I'll sort that out tomorrow sometime.

I've bought a number of L85 parts direct from G&G for my ARMY rifles and as yet I've never been hit with any customs charges, or any significant delay in receipt. The last couple of times the parts have arrived within about 3 days of paying for the order.

As regards RT's query earlier about fitting a G&G A2 cocking handle to an ARMY gun, the fixing is different in that the G&G is push on & the ARMY a screw fit. However, as the A2 handle is plastic it's quite a simple job to drill out the flat and then tap a thread into the handle. I've done that with two of mine. Oh and RT, if any of your mates need an A2 handle, I've got a G&G one spare, still in it's packing.

Edited by Dreamer

Oh and RT, if any of your mates need an A2 handle, I've got a G&G one spare, still in it's packing.

Thanks for the offer, i 'll point them in your direction should they mention it this weekend.I bought some spares myself when i had some spare cash & the parts where available at the time.

Actually seeing as we are on this subject i realised what it was i bought. I bought an A2 cocking handle as none were available in the UK at the time.G&G also sent me a couple of patches. Between HMRC & the Post Office i paid £23+ in charges. .........................................

No wonder you felt stung! HMRC do seem to be quite a fickle bunch and what with the arbitrary admin charges added by the carrier it soon adds up. You could be right there regarding the method of postage chosen, it may have been something that simple. G&G also sent me a nice OG patch with my order too.

I have to say though that over the years of purchasing not only airsoft kit but kit for WW2 re-enacting from overseas I have come to have a pragmatic attitude of what I may lose on one order due to customs charges I often save on another when I don't get hit. I have been quite lucky in that sense as I think I've been hit with charges only 25 to 30% of the time.

Pardon my ignorance in this question:

Is there a typical combat load for British Infantry carrying the L85? Either in terms of number of rounds or magazines.

When i was in ,we carried 8 magazines.However 2 of them were supposed to be for the LSW gunner. I suspect that has all changed with the Gulf War & Afghanistan. I have heard of soldiers being issued bandoliers of magazines.

I suppose my information would now be considered old news?

We also carried 300 rounds in our pack.

Edited by rolling-thunder

hear is my attempt.

ICS L85A2

1x32 ACOG

Hornbill ACOG riser

Grippod

Tanio Koba Twist Barrel

post-3119-0-57348700-1355596197_thumb.jpeg

Is it tacky to get a custom paint job?...Nuffin too crazy, just a faded DPM or Multicam.

Interesting - although what I am imagining looks pretty awful. Pics would be very interesting.

Trying to help a mate out with a build of his, but I don't really know much about the GBB L85 he's using. Is it possible to fit a RS DD Rail onto a WE L85A2, and if so, how's it done and what modifications are needed?

hi guys,

just a quick one. The L85A2 in theatre now comes with a Dark Earth RIS unit and Dark Earth Grip pod. I'll try and get some pictures for reference.

Jesus, more updates than Adobe, I cant keep up with this :wacko:

yeah but god forbid the British Army have a gun with 3 colours on it. They can swap the bits over when the L85A2 is back in to get fixed as the new scope and RIS rail are too heavy for the original scope mount and is snapping the rivets off which considering the gun doesn't have any backup sights is a bit shit.

As much as I like the tan foregrip and grip pod it is rather pointless unless the rest gets a painjob other than black or they allow us to spray them.

002tdh.jpg

001fex.jpg

Anyway here is my l85. Almost done, just waiting on flashhider and mini red dot wing mount then I am there.

Not sure if anybody knows, but is it only the SA80s to be used in Afghanistan that are getting the tan RIS/grip-pod, or all of them?

I would imagine it is a case of all the refits and re-issues of acesories(spelling) will be with the TAN/FDE as they need replacing. So for several years we will probably see both black and FDE being used alongside each other until all the Black have been replaced.