The SA80/L85 thread

WE really ahd this thread going well. Here are some of the photos of my SA80 I realy need to get some decent ones soon. Just before the forum had gone down I had ordered the WGC/VFC LLM01. The LLM01 is very nicely made and I am quite impressed with it. Only gripe is the remote switch as on teh RS ones it is a 90degree jack on the replica it is more of a coax connector with a screw attachcment this tends to result in the vertcal foregrip and LLM cable interfiering with each other so my one is towards th eend of the RIS. Only runs on one CR123A battery and you have the option of red laser, torch or both. The remote switch is not a presuure pad but a switch so its one press on and one press off. The trades are nice and accurate and the stickers that come with it are in pairs so you can have it English and German for anyone going for a KSK look.

I will get some good photos of my AEG up later this week but please lets get the SA80 thread alive again!

5759248995_8ebfab03f5_b.jpg

HKA2 by Jay 8, on Flickr

5722134998_66a590620d_b.jpg

P1000479 by Jay 8, on Flickr

Shots of my modernised L85, probabably my favourite gun.

Since all the info from the previous thread is lost, I have a parts listing below for anyone wanting to replicate a current L85.

Star L85

Real Daniel Defense L85 Quad Rail

Hornbill ACOG riser

ACM TA31

Docter Mount from Rudy

ACM Docter Sight

Real ACOG Eyepiece

Real GPS Grippod

Decals from Panoptes (Don't believe these are still available)

Magpul PTS EMag

Laylad OD Ladder Rail Covers

Also have a real L85 multitool/bayonet although those aren't particulary useful skirmish wise.

To be totally complete the gun needs a new barrel, vortex flash hider (I have a real one, but it needs machining), an LLM01 and Lipos, since I currently skirmish with a PEQ box.

I absolutely love the gun, despite it being a pain in the arse to actually use. Can anyone suggest any rust treatment by the way, I came back from holiday to find the exposed metal had a slight rusty tinge, and wire wool won't get rid of it. Ideally I want to deal with it without stripping the paint off.

I don't know that any have been updated, although I see little reason why you couldn't use EMags, although ofcourse they are alot less compact than the short Stanag. I think anything else might look abit incongruous though, and the SUSAT suits the look.

On a side note, isn't L85 AFV an airsoft name? They are officially L22a I think, although I don't know if the AFV designation is real or not? Neat little guns though, my first airsoft gun was a springer version - You might want to consider weathering yours, but it's personal pref really.

yep correct term is L22a2 , waiting for a photo of the correct nsn to get the L22 markings engraved. Would love to get my hands on the small AFV mag, its using a lonex hicap atm ( not in the photo) and it looks massive in the gun lol

L22A2 is on issue to tankies, Apache crews and boarding parties of the RM. As far as I know they've recieved the same upgrades as the L85A2 ie Scopes, PMags etc.

Just a quick note, the weapons system designator is SA80 this encompasses the whole family. L85A2 - Rifle, L86A2 - LSW (Crow Cannon), L22A2 Carbine and finally the L98A2 Cadet Rifle GP. Sorry get narked about that! ;)

Still to see the Spectre sight in work, still Iron sights and ACOG here :(

OK, here's my effort. It's not quite finished yet, as I need to sort out the optics, the mag release conversion and source an A2 cocking lever, but it's well on the way.

Using the Walther 4 x Red Dot on the riser at least gives me good eye relief without having to crank my neck at an uncomfortable angle. Now even got the issue sling fitted correctly courtesy of an ex-TA team-mate, so it's going to get a bit more use now, especially after sorting the gearbox issues.

Here's mine

STAR base

Real steel flash hider

Real steel gripod

Real steel eye piece

Hornbill RIS

Custom lengthened barrel (Std STAR one is too short)

Modified ACOG to look like a TA31

OOOH look at that retaining wire beautifully crimped to the adjustment caps ^_^

LiPo under the barrel inside the RIS

Here's my G&G L85 (A1 originally) as of this week.

ACM RIS

ACM Flash Hider

Grip Pod from Ant Supplies

G&G SUSAT

and a smattering of real parts such as mag release guard, bolt release catch, front sling loop and the spring here and there.

The VFC LLM arrived on Monday, not a bad little unit, a little rough internally but it works ok just a shame it doesn't have a flat remote switch. Oh and with a light pressure the remote switch will act as a momentary pressure pad, a firmer press causing it to act as a toggle switch as previously mentioned.

GGL85A2RIS1-1.jpg

Question time.... What's the largest capacity 7.4v LiPo anyone has managed to squeeze into the L85 RIS?

There are some 2200mah and 2600mah that look like they may fit or am I better off sticking with something smaller and buying a pair of 1450mah batteries?

I've got a 2600mAh twin pack in mine (2 x 1300 linked) but it took a bit of work with the Dremel to open out the insides of the RIS to get them to fit comfortably (tight but still able to move in and out) side by side. I thought I'd measured the dimensions accurately before I bought the pack but either the pack dimensions on Component Shop were out or my measuring was crap, as I needed to take about 1mm off each side of the RIS to make them fit.

It was Comp' Shop I was looking at and for the very reason you discovered I was wary of the dimensions on the diagram when it was that close a tolerance. I'll stick to the smaller option as I don't want to go hacking at my RIS with my Dremel. Thanks again for the info guys.

Ok time to repost my weapon.

R85withLaRueclipssight3.jpg

R85withLaRueclipssight6.jpg

R858.jpg

R85withLaRueclips8.jpg

& me as happy as a pig in muck

DSC_0259.jpg

Obviously i still have the Flash hider,scope mount & scope to buy but the biggest thing that's bugging me at the moment in i need to fix the charging handle in place,at the moment it swivles in position which is annoying.