If you're willing to import from HK it's worth a look round some the usual big HK retailers to see what's available - there's usually 'custom specials' which might have all the right bits, or yeah, get an XM and the G&P barrel.

Actually, it's probably easier (maybe cheaper too?) to get the full M653 front kit rather than just the barrel and A1 flash hider separately, and sell on a full XM foreend.

Absolutely 100% no XMs. The US govn classified the flash hiders as effectively supressors (they contain internal baffles) and banned exports.

XM177E1...

forces80-1.jpg

Theres also an old black & white group picture of SAS guys at what looks like Bradbury Lines & one lad is kneeling with an XM177E1. Its in the book 'Inside the SAS' by Craig Phillip & Alex Taylor, page 101.

Now that's interesting. First I've seen of a Brit with an true XM, but lacks context - looks like training/having a play. Could also be a GAU-5 borrowed from the USAF, can't tell without seeing if there's a FA.

I'd still stick with the best guess that the majority of offically acquired Brit carbines were not XMs. Unofficially, who knows....

Boots - Hi-legs or NI? Can't tell if they have the toecap. (Trouser pocket also doesn't look like the flat-sewn lightweight but more like US M65...)

hmm Interesting speculation. Though I see a pair of lightweights & high leg dms myself...

Then theres the picture in the book that i mention, which is unmistakably either a XM177E1 or XM177 GAU-5/A. Pity i dont have a scanner to upload it but if you can get a copy of the book & see the picture, it puts the issue to bed.

Of course, Im not saying we had armouries full of them back then, by any means, but from reference material its certainly 100% absolutely wrong to assume we had no XM's at all.

Why bother jumping through the hoops when Colt had already created the 652/653 et al especially for export?

Edit: Also, XM production numbers were always low (Can't get on Retro Black Rifle at work to see what they say) and production had finished by about 1970. From a purely procurement perspective, it makes the XM unlikely to have been bought as-is in any numbers.

Trials maybe...I wonder what the Pattern Room collection has and where they came from...

Just to help bring some truth to some rumors I was BRR today and while not SF they get a lot of the extra gucci kit.

I can confirm they had the HK 417 instead of the L129A1 but most importantly the Glock 17 (with metal not polymer slide) as well as the minimi with HK style retractable stock.

Thought it may have been of some interest, TM glock on my shopping list then with crye gun clip!

Brigade Reconissance Regiment as I said not SF but they do get nice toys.

I've always been told it did, I honestly can't remember if the one I shot in Belgium did or not.

Fair enough and I mean BRR (part of the armoured corps) went to have a cheeky look round and their armoury was impressive to say the least which is the only reason I mention it. They seemed to have a lot of equipment that I havent heard of being in reglar circulation eg, 417, glocks and some very cool thermal imaging sights.

The only reason I mentioned it here is because if these guys are getting these things (mainly the glocks) then it would be safe to assume SF would be too.

I believe it was the Gen 4 as the frame had that rough texture they've been on about it was a lot lighter gray then other glocks I have seen, the slide almost looked "brushed" and the whole thing felt more robust. What ever gen it was it was brand spanking new! Saying that though I didn't notice the thumb safety so who knows, I'l try and go back there and get another look...

The Gen 4 hasn't been specifically designed for the British Army, it's a natural progression and a modification of the Gen 3

The GLOCK 17 Gen4, in 9x19, introduces revolutionary design changes to the world's most popular pistol. The Modular Back Strap design lets you instantly customize its grip to adapt to an individual shooter's hand size. The surface of the frame employs the new scientifically designed, real-world-tested, Gen4 rough textured technology. Internally, the new GLOCK dual recoil spring assembly substantially increases the life of the system. A reversible enlarged magazine catch, changeable in seconds, accommodates left or right-handed operators.

Nor does it have a thumb safety.

The Glock has ALWAYS had a steel slide.

:)