Deve

Old School UKSF

Sniper tape has been around for ages, it just was not known as sniper tape back then, Storeman Norman would know it as "NBC suit repair tape" back in the day <--true dit!

Was like rocking horse sh*t but since 2003 or so it has been commonly available.

Still ok with the M16A1 version, photos of the Falklands show the A1 flash hider and 30 round mags.

Just a note on a post from way back, the famous pic of the yomping Marine with the flag on the antenna, it isn't a Clansman 351, 351's are post Falklands and in this particular case the antenna is on the wrong side for a 351 anyway.

Regarding 'sniper tape' being used as weapon camo in the Falklands, I've never seen it, hessian cut from sandbags or plain green scrim scarves is the way to go.

Oh you're right, my bad, how did I not see the forward assist, shell deflector and more up to date rear sight :unsure: Must have only noticed the A1 onwards flash hider and 20 round mag and assumed when he said 'older' he meant the M16 rather than M16A1.

The perils of surfing at 1.00 in the morning :D

It does indeed, :)

Load out looks good, definitely captures the 80's feel. If you wanted to go further on the rifle a field dressing or 2 taped to the stock/fore grip with black electrical tape would be period or a piece of scrim wrapped around the barrel.

P4102454.jpg

Some of my Falklands/80's rig, 58 Pattern webbing with 20 round drop pouches, 44 pattern waterbottle pouch etc and 80's Arctic windproof smock (later than Falklands as has Nato sizing) and M16A1

Still ok with the M16A1 version, photos of the Falklands show the A1 flash hider and 30 round mags.

Just a note on a post from way back, the famous pic of the yomping Marine with the flag on the antenna, it isn't a Clansman 351, 351's are post Falklands and in this particular case the antenna is on the wrong side for a 351 anyway.

Regarding 'sniper tape' being used as weapon camo in the Falklands, I've never seen it, hessian cut from sandbags or plain green scrim scarves is the way to go.

Regarding comms, thats a 'tad' incorrect fella. The 351 was around in the Falklands, as seen here with the Shakies

d2646710-d3f7-450b-9a3c-9b1a440b0bb2_zps

Edited by Huk

To be honest that doesn't look like a 351, it's sitting quite far off the frame and the end of the radio facing the camera doesn't look like a 351 compared to mine. That said mine is currently on the 'Carrying Frame, Electrical Equipment' the lightweight frame rather than the GS Frame and has the SURF and Amplifier fitted which adds considerably to the overall height, the one above only has the radio transceiver and battery. 

I'll post some pics later but from the angle in the above pic the antenna looks in the wrong position for a 351.

725a1d2a_b0ff_4ebd_820f_612c33e82d1b_zps

DSC_1168_copy.jpg

Look again, the 351 has 2 sockets for the connection of the headset plus 2 sockets to connect the SURF unit on the side facing the camera, (Right side as worn) plus the antenna connects to the opposite side. In the original photo there doesn't appear to be any sockets on the side facing the camera and if the antenna was connected to the left side it would appear where I've added the red line due to the angle of the photo.

IMO not a 351.

Thats because the photo is crap quality and you can't see squat.

Plus the clansman units have been around since the 70's.

Edited by abbadon101

I agree it is a poor quality photo but it's good enough to see where the antenna is mounted and to see that there are no connectors on the end of the set facing the camera :mellow:

That said I can't identify what the set is :(

I still think it isn't a 351, it's too slim for a start, no wider than the battery, the end of the 351 overhangs the battery which isn't the case in the original photo as you can clearly follow the line of the battery and radio at the extreme left where it's clearly contrasting against the sky, also there appear to be strengthening ribs in X form on the end facing the camera, the antenna is in the wrong place, there's no way it's mounted on the rear left of the set which is where it should be on a 351.

Oh dear. 

Mehringer, this issue was put to bed some posts back pal. Actually, I can see the ever faint sign of the connector there. But thats the least of the things that I need to look at. As crap quality that picture is, a blind man & his Granny can quite clearly see thats a Clansman 351 mounted on a GS frame & being worn by the SBS in the Falklands. Endex.

I dont need to look again, nor do i need to study your set when Ive had two of my own 351s for years just like theirs mounted on GS frame.

mar4.jpg

Ok I said I was going to leave it but I've found out that I was wrong  :o  well partly, maybe :D 

The 351 was indeed used in the Falklands, apparently the 1st use was by 2 Para (not saying they were the only ones) and I've found a photo that backs it up in the book "2 Para Falklands, The Battalion at War"

In this case the antenna is indeed on the right hand side as the set has a SURF unit fitted, again clearly seen. Interestingly the Radio Op appears to be wearing the earlier Steel Para helmet rather than the M76 Composite helmet, it's fairly distinctive as theedge of the rim is dead straight rather than curved.

Clansman_351_2_Para_copy.jpg

Steel helmets were ally due to the Arnhem connection. Second possibility (unlikely) is that he is one of the Blues & Royals crewmen that went down south with Scimitar working dismounted, they got the older steel helmets, pretty unlikely though.

In the SBS pic, to me, looks like the antenna is on Left of the unit, the angle makes it look like it's on the right.