Deve

Old School UKSF

Scrim scarf and old watch cap would set that off a treat!

I forgot my scrim today! I was gutted :lol: And I'm undecided what headgear to go for for this. I'm thinking Mk5 with scrim and hessian and all that gubbins!

Perefered your pics with the trops but looks good mate :)

I'm the same I got rid of my SLR as I needed the cash miss it though

Cheers man! And there's a time and a place for the trops, it was bloody freezing up here today!

Scrim scarf and old watch cap would set that off a treat!

I forgot my scrim today! I was gutted :lol: And I'm undecided what headgear to go for for this. I'm thinking Mk5 with scrim and hessian and all that gubbins!

Perefered your pics with the trops but looks good mate :)

I'm the same I got rid of my SLR as I needed the cash miss it though

Cheers man! And there's a time and a place for the trops, it was bloody freezing up here today!

If you are running an armalite, you want some gucci headgear! Arctic flappy hat, watch cap or the old skool ribbed balaclava!

the looped waterbottle pouches, are they the same as the old Dutch army ones and how much should I expect to pay for a set?

My cold war brit kit, its a bit of a mix between sf and reg army but this seems like the best place to post it.

It is a work in progress so any suggestions welocome

P2030101_zps6386b88e.jpg

P2030102_zps5ea2f340.jpg

Kit List

-Modded wind proof smock

-Wind proof trousers

-Black woolly hat

-Jungle boots

-OG scrim

-Roll pin 58 belt kit

--2 Alice ammo pouches

--Custom Clansman pouch

--3 water bottle pouches

--Bino pouch (for bangs)

-M16 VN

Edited by cpt napalm

Scarily good mate (I'm an old b*****d and I remember seeing guys tooling around Brecon looking just like that when I was a 'wee' new recruit in Sennybridge back in the early 80's) get a pair of NI gloves would set it off a treat , I'd also say as you look very 'northern Europe OP' to me change the boots for some kind of full leather ones (something like German para boots or Lundhags if you can find them) . But all in all looking good to me .

Cheers, thanks for the advice i'll be on the look out for some german para boots (the junglies were what i had to hand), gloves wise i was thinking of picking up a pair of generic looking black leather ones as i dont like the bulk of NI ones.

Seems like forever since I've posted in this thread. The BBC are sneaking some interesting retro programmes onto iPlayer, one being Behind The Lines, about the selection process for the RM's Mountain and Arctic Warfare Cadre from 1985.

Episode 5 contained a bit on the direct action role, with some "well loved" ARs (and 4 mags per man).

BtL_Ep5_AR_1.jpg

BtL_Ep5_AR_2.jpg

BtL_Ep5_AR_4.jpg

BtL_Ep5_AR_6.jpg

For the spotters (i.e. me), varient is the "early" model 604, Partial fence lower, no forward assist, three prone flash hider (and some other bits that don't matter for airsoft).

I'd love to know the serials and date the batch/es they came from....

402561_231241100283760_616249231_n.jpg

this is my "ish" attempt from last year based on the SBS/148 battery i do have some desert GW1 SBS/148 battery loadouts but none on camera but i do have a good bit of kit that is and has been used by the SBS this:

420099_353850924689443_885141076_n.jpg

this is my 1977 Series 3 109 FFR that from 1989 to 1996 was with the SBS in the gulf and she wasnt bog standard like you see as i have now seen some pics of her in service and she was stripped down which is what is going to happen this year all been well .

Anyone got clues where to source OG PLCEs, can't seem to find any that would be available outside UK. Should've gotten them when I started airsofting and they were readily available.

]For the spotters (i.e. me), varient is the "early" model 604, Partial fence lower, no forward assist, three prone flash hider (and some other bits that don't matter for airsoft).I'd love to know the serials and date the batch/es they came from....

It makes you wonder if the MoD purchased these directly from Colt or traded them with the USAF as they must date back to the 1960's based on their spec.

M16 Spotter Heaven:

http://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/RflGde/604.html

Either way, the MoD must have purchased a skip full of bolts, barrels and gas rings to keep these rifles running through 20 years of hard use.

I was under the impression that bought our AR15s directly from Colt for Malaya, getting 2,500 initially for jungle trials, although I've heard various dates. Then in 1969 the MOD started getting their first M16's.

Looking for some tell-tale signs that a windproof smock is pre-Falklands? The best I've found so far is that the sizing is in "Size X" and not the NATO-style "XXX/YYY", but since most labels are worn to white, that does not always work.

Apart from the sizing, no FFD pocket on the right arm was the big change. The original '68 DPM pattern print used on the cloth is also slightly difference in pattern and colouring to later versions (the base tan is lighter, I think the 'spottiness' of the edges of the pattern changed. Later 80s windproofs have more orangey colouring.)

And if it's RM, rank slide tabs front and rear are a good bet it's an earlier smock, but I think they stayed until the late 80s/90s.

So was the change that they added or removed the FFD-pocket? Just for clarification.

I currently have a windproof with the FFD pocket on the right sleeve, and a pen pocket on left, front slide tab, wire in the hood and nato-sizing, "Smock, combat, windproof arctic". I'm under the impression this a 80's version?

Edited by Iceman

A few backs ago:

B207_zps77215ee4.jpg

B2011_zps44e8635f.jpg

And why yes, I do like 6-col and night desert-camo. Shame I forgot to take the shemagh pics.

Edited by Iceman