Deve

Old School UKSF

Thanks to everybody.

Vulcan and Cyclop are two different models...? Because mine is a Vulcan Cyclop size II° (or at least this is what's on the label)...

Vulcan is the model, cyclops is the back system.

JJust to add: the cyclops frame comes in four lengths. size 2 is for men up to 1m70 ish. I'm 1m80 and mine fits fine

Found a couple of old smocks in a bag, not sure how desirable they are, anyone care to share?

Parka Mans (Cold Weather)

VGC 180/96

Got old style buttons, ep's on shoulders and a quilted hood

and a

Smock Combat Windproof Arctic

VGC 190/120

Old style buttons wired hood single ep on front

Radios would've been clansmans. 349's between section commander and 2ic/gun group and 351's for the company net. 320's for longer range commas up to brigade etc.

The iconic photo of the boogie flying the flag on he yomp to Stanley is flying his flag for a 351 aerial.

You're mad! Boots DMS and high legs were utter, utter cunty fucking bastard shite boots. Get some Lowa's - your feet will thank you. If you want to look old school then US jungle boots, German para boots or Lundhags are better boots of that period, we're worn by squaddies and will not require significant breaking in and padding with sorbothene insoles.

Seriously, those look new - you've a hard road ahead of you to get them broken in enough to be comfy.

Good luck!

I believe (and my source is the same bloke who posted Crusaders back to Berghaus) that Scarpa SL boots were a popular purchase around the time of the Falklands, dyed black and usually coupled with Yeti gaiters.

I've been rocking Scarpa SLs for many years now for walking/mountaineering and they're my first choice for anything involving distance and weight.

Well, I know very well those hi-legs are hard b+++ards, but I'll use them just for reenactment purpose. I won't walk that much with those boots...

For airsoft/trekking/mountaineering I got my loyal Han Wag, plus many other tactical footwear (US junglies, Brit Pro-boots, Meindl Desert Fox, Karrimor KSB Outback, Salomon Riga Thinsulate)...

what setup would the 351 most likely be in?, carry frame, whip arial ?

Both of those, the frame is the same as the GS/SAS PARA Bergan frame with some extra bits for the radio added. Whip aerial too.

my falklands sas kit so far

kit list of the top of my head:

m16vn

58 webbing - minus the kidney pouches with alice canteen and two alice mag pouches and butt pack with some white dulux added

insulated smock

not sure exactly what they are but heavy duty insulated combat trousers

ww2 us gaiters

dont look at the boots

balaclava

suggestions welcome

post-394-0-21916500-1329185456_thumb.jpg

post-394-0-52102100-1329185536_thumb.jpg

First and MOST importantly ditch the large pack , piece of crap universally hated , if you do want to use a pack look for an old SAS or at a push a GS bergen or see if you can find a berghous Roc or crusader , get some more UK water bottle pouches . ditch the yank gaters and get some hiking ones . As to the boots what are they ? Not as if there white trainers ! Lol

All in all not a bad start mate , looks like you've made an effort to try and get it right (not just stuck on some 95DPM and said "look at me ! I is sas !! ") . ;-)

Cheers the boots are asolo something or other, Im thinking of getting a radio instead of a bergan so atm the pack is a stop-gap because it looks the part even though they ditched them. Any idea what sort of hicking gaiters, is there a millitary pair they would have used?

Cheers the boots are asolo something or other, Im thinking of getting a radio instead of a bergan so atm the pack is a stop-gap because it looks the part even though they ditched them. Any idea what sort of hicking gaiters, is there a millitary pair they would have used?

Fair point about not getting a burgen then , the large pack wouldnt have been used in the falklands though (especially by the SAS !) it was only used during basic training I joined up three yrs after the Falklands war and no one used them outside of basic (I also had family connections who fought in it and my older brother's burgen was knocking around the house all the time) SO the large pack must GO ! Lol

As to the boots look for some realy old hiking boots or get some old German para boots , neither would look out of place In a load out from the period .

Hey spud who's Bertha , is her outdoor gear eny good ? pray chance did you mean berghous ? Lol

Berthas yeti's would be appropriate. Failing that anything old and green.

Fucking twatty auto correct, yes meant Berghaus.

Not much difference between old and new yeti's that I can see.

hi all, whilst scouring the bay of e for rare bits of kit i came across this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M203-LAUNCHER-QUADRANT-SIGHT-USED-/190643572605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c633e0f7d

a nice rare m203 quadrant sight for 25 dollars! i've got one being delivered at the mo so as soon as i receive it i'll post piccies up on here. perfect for the old school M16/M203 combo.

Bah, you've made me order one now for my C7/M203.

I've got a plastic one from my old self-assembly Academy springer...somewhere...