Deve

Old School UKSF

Let's kick this off again, with any UKSF kit up to and including the 1991 Gulf War (or thereabouts, and the usual wanderings into older British gear in general).

It's the thread where the only school is old-school. Where Armalites, SLRs, modified sets of '58 patt webbing, dayglow tropicals, windproof smocks and balaclavas rule. Where cordura is a space-age material, Arktis still make quality kit and all we need to worry about is the Soviets motoring through the German plains.....

Here's some of my collection -

STA71619_1.jpg

Luckily, I kept a copy of the original text that went with my post on the old thread:

A Dreaded Sunny Day....

Had a day off, so while the sun was shining, I decided I'd get round to taking a few pics I'd been meaning to do for ages.

This lot isn't entirely SF, in fact there's a lot of 'normal' old school brit gear in there, but some now rare enough to beincluded. This is about a third of the collection (!) and doesn't included many of the sundry little bits I've got.

None is for sale, so please don't ask.

Clockwise, from the 11 o'clock position:

Ammo tins (7.62mm and .30, for the Ferret, or Gurkha demonstration Coy at Brecon...)

Boots, DMS

Boots, Combat High (later pattern with leather strips up the back of the ankles)

Unopened GS and Artic Ration packs. Rolos inside have probably gained concious thought by now.

SAS/Para bergan

Aircrew survival gloves (from ejector seat survival pack)

Close Defence Operator (or Aircrew) gloves

Falklands era Artic smock (rank slides front and back, no FFD pouch on right arm)

Belt kit: SLR mag pouch/Escape ration pouch/'44 patt water bottle pouches with 2nd patt bottles, right side pouch with mug and milbank filter bag/chopped large pack pouch 'drop looped'/'44 compass pouch. All on a SASS roll pin belt.

Nice big Union flag. Stitched, none of that printed rubbish!

G&P based AR-15 (began life as TM until it and I had a coming together, and it lost)

Falklands era Windproof trousers (with crossover belt)

SMG pouch (as mostly seen in RMP hands in NI) with 2 2nd patt Stirling mags

Roll pin belt, in unmolestered 'just stolen/acquired' condition

Drop Water Bottle pouch (probably 'commercial pattern' not issue due to the lack of NSN)

Armalite mag pouch with mag

Armalite BFA

Unissued Escape Ration Pouch

Unit made SLR mag pouch, with press stud closure (one of a pair I have) with 30 round mag

80s issue Tropical Jacket & hat and sweat rag

Late 80s '58 webbing (non NBC ex) [Ammo/'44 WB/'58 WBx3/SUIT pouch/'44 WB/Ammo/Ponch roll]

1st patt '58 (early 70s NI) with 1st patt respirator pouch (ammo pouches only fit 2 SLR mags and there are many other little changes between 1st patt and the final 2nd pattern)

KA SLR (sling swivels removed)

Crap hat

NI Gloves (Gloves, Combat Mk1)

'68 patt jacket & trousers and Shirt, KF

Pick helve

Poncho roll with 2 ponchos, bungees, pegs, etc and pick head.

Not shown (off the top of my head), GS bergans, doss bags, any '85 pat clothing, chinese fighting suit, jungle boots, puttess, scrim, any GW1 kit and early PLCE, body armour (M69, '79 patt or later), helmets, NBC gear, M16/M203, link, bandos....

Just realised how old this picture is, My SLR has subsequently had a proper carry handle fitted and I've still yet not got round to fitting the woodwork I have to her!

As an old school Soldier myself, went to Sandhurst in 1987 and spent the three years prior to that in the OTC and CCF before that, I miss my old modified 58 webbing. Had a great belt kit with escape pouch, drop ammo pouches and SASS drop loops for 58 wathewr bottle pouches. Would love to get my hands on this kit again!

Still got my SAS/Para bergan and my Berghaus Crusader which I purchased in 1988 long before the PLCE crap rucksack.

If any belt kit items come up let me know

Wow great kit. My era, as a cadet from 84 to 88 all very familiar. I bet all that kit in one room smells like the great army surplus shops I haunted every Saturday as a kid.

Awright lads, a few of my vintage style impressions...

Op. Barras, Sierra Leone, September 2000

DSC01472.jpg

DSC01475.jpg

Northern Ireland, late 80s early 90s

DSC01447-1.jpg

DSC01448.jpg

Op. Trent, Southern Afghanistan, November 2001

DSC01413.jpg

DSC01378.jpg

DSC01388.jpg

DSC01410.jpg

Blace, Macedonia, 1999

DSC01288-1.jpg

DSC01289-1.jpg

I'd have dropped all of them in the modern thread to be honest, which is why I'd set the thread date up to GW1. CS95 and PLCE may well be on the way out, but they sure ain't retro yet. In 20 years time, maybe.

Where's your proper retro photos Staffy? We all know you've got the '58 patt and dayglow trops.... :P

In these Paraclete/Crye Precision days, those loadouts are at least "vintage" in my book, then I've posted them in this thread...

I can't find my jungle setup photos, will post them as soon they will sort out.

Got a Pebble Island raid impression on his way...

Bit of a Gulf war collector on the side....Spent a lot of time finding the "hard to find items!

Motorbike recce GW1 Winter 1990.

DSC00439edited.jpg

Some of the collection....

Blood chit..

DSC00156.jpg

Tacbe...

DSC00151.jpg

Genuine WW2 windproof...

DSC00164.jpg

Genuine Magellan 100M with case and manual...

DSC00161.jpg

And my favorite, Genuine silk escape map framed by a Hereford company with a personal message on the reverse...

DSC00150.jpg

Most of the A sqn guys were on motorbikes and as such kept to chest rigs and vests, larger kit was stored on the bikes. I have a GW1 belt kit based on Stan's rig from the real B20 documentary....but it is a work in progress at the moment!

I met Paul Sibly last night, a vet of Op STORM (Dhofar) - incredibly interesting chap with some very interesting pics. I thought his book might be of interest to those interested in old skool UKSF: A Monk in the SAS (although I didn't get a chance to have a glimpse at the book, so no guarantee on pics I'm afraid).

Has anyone seen the back cover photo on the Alastair McKenzie latest book "Special Force: the Untold Story of 22 SAS"...?

A bunch of lads in DPM'68 para smocks (not SF hooded version), a few Tam O'Shanters and RM berets, very long hairs, huge 'taches and beards, '58 standard infantry webbings, SRLs and GPMGs, an old version para bergen plus a couple of Berghaus Vulcans, NI padded gloves, and facial camo cream.

The caption only says "Photo from the author's private collection"

Everything shouts NI, but I wonder if someone here could give more details i.e. unit, era, location, etc.

Nice pic indeed...

I haven't a scanner, then I couldn't post it here.

A couple of Mid nighties impressions from me.

DSC_0022a.jpg

In PLCE

DSC_0100.jpg

OPS Waistcoat.

Rifle needs a A1 or A2 bodykit. But I heard they were using flat topped C7's in barras anyway. Could have used Camop cream, but didn't fancy scrubbing my face after the photo op.

Had a parcel arrive today and a unexpected delivery today from a local chap clearing out his loft....Most of it was the generic wooly pully and lightweights combo, but there was some good bits in there too!

Nice early SAS windproof, no FFD pocket, really early "survival aids" make....shame about the nicks and small repairs on the pockets but good for 30 years old!

DSC00474.jpg

Couple of Browning HP mags and a M16 mag (can go with all the other M16 mags i have!)

DSC00477.jpg

2 x old skool trop shirts (mags are on top of)

Dosimeter (handy if you are in a nuclear disaster!) came in original tube with service stamps up to 1986 - tested it today and its still working!

DSC00478.jpg

And un related to the above, picked this up for a mate yesterday as he has been looking everywhere for one, only problem is that i'm not sure i want to give it to him!

Browning HP blank firer...feels just like the original

DSC00476.jpg

I'm working on a SAS Falklands impression and I got a few questions to ask you:

1) The smoke grenades used in the 1982 were the same of today ones...?

2) I know Berghaus Vulcans have been largely used as aftermarket bergens: were they've been used in the Falklands campaign...?

3) Footwear: Did the DMS hi-leg issued in 1982...? If so, please let me know where I can get a size 9 or 9.5 because I can't find them...

TIA

Smokes were pretty much the same as far as i know....

The Vulcans date back to the early 80's (particularly the brown shade ones) - I'll ask my uncle as he was issued one!

As for boots, DMS ankles with puttees, NI boots or German para/civvy hiking boots were used. (my uncle was issued a pair of Lundhags)

....I come across the NI boots and the old DMS ankles from time to time, i'll keep an eye out for you.

I think Vulcans were used staffy. My father (ex - scots guards) brought himself a Berghaus Centurion prior to the Falklands which I've still got (I need to properly repair it, its seen a far amount of use) and I've heard Berghaus Crusaders had been used as well. Vulcan was quite popular with infantary in the 80's I know that!

Think the Vulcan came out a couple of years after the war , would have been as stated either a centurion , cyclops Roc or an early model crusader used in the Falklands . I bought a new Vulcan when I came back from OP Granby (i remember it hadn't been out long as I was up-grading from a Roc) .

TBH i still prefer my fathers centurion over any modern stuff, I find its more rugged (you'd expect that from something thats has lasted 31 years of use of which 15 years is of military use!). All thats been replaced is a one buckle, so staffy I would seriously recomend one if you can get hold of one!

Berghaus recalled all their big bergans (crusaders and rocs) to supply to the mod for falklands issue. I know because the boss of the camping shop i worked for had to post them back.

Who they were issued to i couldnt tell you.

Iirc the vulcan didnt exist in 82. It would have been the crusader. Nearly the same beast: same capacity and zip off pockets, just a different back system. Vulcan had the newer cyclops system berghaus used on their expedition packs.

Dont think it was the vulcan im pretty sure that was a later model.

I have a Crusader i bought new from du boras in aldershot back in 1987,and its still going strong only had to replace the elastic round the lid and swapped the zips so plce pouches will fit..

From what i remember back then the Marines used Cycolps Roc Bergens,the Paras would have had the sas/para bergen,and i guess the others would have a mix of the two.